Plastic waste (PW) is one type of solid waste. Its disposal and management pose environmental concerns in several countries around the world. PW causes serious problems for land, soil, & water. Recycling of PW is an innovative idea or way in this field, to produce new materials like plasticized concrete (PC), or rubberized concrete, which appears as one of the best solutions for disposing of PW, due to its economic and ecological advantages. Also, with the rapid growth and development in the construction industries with higher demands for concrete, emphasis has been laid on the sustainability of the concrete constituent materials. This study explores the ameliorative effects of plastic particles (PP) on some properties of concrete. The main aim is to study, and analysis of the mechanical, acoustical, & thermal properties of sustainable concrete incorporating PP & compared it with the traditional one or normal concrete (NC). The percentage of PP used in this study varies from 0-25%. The overall results show the addition of PP to the NC to obtain a lightweight one. It caused a reduction in the compressive strength by about 40-51% from NC. Also, the added PP decreased the thermal conductivity of the PC by about 50% from NC. However, PC improved sound absorption & thermal conductivity. Results have shown that the increasing contents of PW of concrete reduced the ultrasonic pulse velocity and the intensity of sound passing through PC. The significance of this study is to provide information to reuse, reduce, and recycled solid waste (i.e., PW) & to help future researchers both in academics and in the world, Civil engineers /Structural designers/Builder, etc. with dependable information on the use recycled materials for concrete production.
Waste management, waste, Plastic, Environment, Construction
- Al-Ajlan, S. A. (2006). Measurements of thermal properties of insulation materials by using transient plane source technique. Applied thermal engineering, 26(17-18), 2184-2191.
- Alfahdawi, I. H., Osman, S. A., Hamid, R., & Al-Hadithi, A. I. (2018). Modulus of elasticity and ultrasonic pulse velocity of concrete containing polyethylene terephthalate (pet) waste heated to high temperature. Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, 13(11), 3577-3592.
- ASTM, C. (2001). ASTM C39: Standard test method for compressive strength of cylindrical concrete specimens. In: ASTM international West Conshohocken, PA, USA.
- ASTM, C. (2006). 192. 2004. Standard Practice for Making and Curing Concrete Test Specimens in the Laboratory. Annual book of ASTM Standards, 4.
- Awoyera, P., & Adesina, A. (2020). Plastic wastes to construction products: Status, limitations and future perspective. Case Studies in Construction Materials, 12, e00330.
- Chabuk, A., Al-Ansari, N., Hussain, H. M., Knutsson, S., & Pusch, R. (2015). Present status of solid waste management at Babylon Governorate, Iraq. Engineering, 5(7), 408-423.
- Defra. (2011). The economics of waste and waste policy. In: London: Defra.
- Flower, D. J., & Sanjayan, J. G. (2007). Green house gas emissions due to concrete manufacture. The international Journal of life cycle assessment, 12(5), 282-288.
- Ghuge, J., Surale, S., Patil, B., & Bhutekar, S. (2019). Utilization of waste plastic in manufacturing of paver blocks. System, 6(04), 1967-1970.
- Gopi, K. S., & Srinivas, T. (2020). Feasibility study of recycled plastic waste as fine aggregate in concrete. Paper presented at the E3S Web of Conferences.
- Gordon, A. T. (2000). Solid waste management: MC Graw Hill, New York.
- Halim, N., Taib, N., & Aziz, Z. (2020). The performance of thermal property in concrete containing waste pet (polyethylene terephthalate) as an alternative sustainable building material. Paper presented at the IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science.
- Hussein, A. A., Breesem, K. M., Jassam, S. H., & Heil, S. M. (2018). Strength Properties of Concrete Including Waste Plastic Boxes. Paper presented at the IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering.
- Ismail, Z. Z., & Al-Hashmi, E. A. (2008). Use of waste plastic in concrete mixture as aggregate replacement. Waste management, 28(11), 2041-2047.
- Jibrael, M. A., & Peter, F. (2016). Strength and behavior of concrete contains waste plastic. Journal of Ecosystem & Ecography, 6(2), 2-5.
- Kamaruddin, M., Abdullah, M., Zawawi, M. H., & Zainol, M. (2017). Potential use of plastic waste as construction materials: recent progress and future prospect. Paper presented at the IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering.
- Kangavar, M. E., Lokuge, W., Manalo, A., Karunasena, W., & Frigione, M. (2022). Investigation on the properties of concrete with recycled polyethylene terephthalate (PET) granules as fine aggregate replacement. Case Studies in Construction Materials, 16, e00934.
- Kim, S. B., Yi, N. H., Kim, H. Y., Kim, J.-H. J., & Song, Y.-C. (2010). Material and structural performance evaluation of recycled PET fiber reinforced concrete. Cement and concrete composites, 32(3), 232-240.
- Marthong, C., & Sarma, D. K. (2016). Influence of PET fiber geometry on the mechanical properties of concrete: An experimental investigation. European Journal of Environmental and Civil Engineering, 20(7), 771-784.
- Marzouk, O. Y., Dheilly, R., & Queneudec, M. (2007). Valorization of post-consumer waste plastic in cementitious concrete composites. Waste management, 27(2), 310-318.
- Metaxas, G., & Sfakianaki, E. (2011). Municipal solid management: an overview.
- Pahlevani, F., & Sahajwalla, V. (2018). From waste glass to building materials–An innovative sustainable solution for waste glass. Journal of cleaner production, 191, 192-206.
- Pezzi, L., De Luca, P. A., Vuono, D., Chiappetta, F., & Nastro, A. (2006). Concrete products with waste's plastic material (bottle, glass, plate). Paper presented at the Materials Science Forum.
- Pooja, P., Vaitla, M., Sravan, G., Reddy, M. P., & Bhagyawati, M. (2019). Study on behavior of concrete with partial replacement of fine aggregate with waste plastics. Materials Today: Proceedings, 8, 182-187.
- Rochman, C. M., Browne, M. A., Halpern, B. S., Hentschel, B. T., Hoh, E., Karapanagioti, H. K., . . . Thompson, R. C. (2013). Classify plastic waste as hazardous. Nature, 494(7436), 169-171.
- Saikia, N., & Brito, J. d. (2013). Waste polyethylene terephthalate as an aggregate in concrete. Materials Research, 16(2), 341-350.
- Sandanayake, M., Zhang, G., & Setunge, S. (2019). Estimation of environmental emissions and impacts of building construction–A decision making tool for contractors. Journal of building engineering, 21, 173-185.
- Silva, R., De Brito, J., & Dhir, R. (2014). Properties and composition of recycled aggregates from construction and demolition waste suitable for concrete production. Construction and Building Materials, 65, 201-217.
- Sosoi, G., Abid, C., Barbuta, M., Burlacu, A., Balan, M. C., Branoaea, M., . . . Rigollet, F. (2022). Experimental Investigation on Mechanical and Thermal Properties of Concrete Using Waste Materials as an Aggregate Substitution. Materials, 15(5), 1728.
- Takada, H. a. B., L. (2021). Plastic Waste Management Hazards. International Pollutants Elimination Network (IPEN).