GIS-MCE based suitability analysis for sustainable estate development in Ede North LGA Osun State, Nigeria
Ideal areas for housing developments that are, for the most part, sustainable, present critical issues in the planning and development of eco-friendly urban settlements. With this in mind and explicitly, Ede North LGA of Osun state was chosen as the case study where a methodological framework for a land suitability analysis was adopted to identify suitable lands for real estate development with sustainability as a focus in the realization of global UN goals. This present study falls within the framework of the Multi-Criteria Evaluation (MCE) analysis, which can be integrated into Geographic Information Systems (GIS) together with the Analytic Hierarchical Process (AHP), useful for decision making in site selection studies. For this purpose, computed relative weights from the pairwise comparisons (AHP) of 5 sub-models, i.e., terrain, environmental, socio-economic, available land and soil factors, were inserted into the suitability analysis function of GIS and combined in a ‘Weighted Sum’ overlay operation to produce a final suitability map on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the highest preference. Lastly, the ‘Locate Region’ Spatial Analyst tool was applied to the final suitability map to locate three (3) optimum locations to site the estate developments. Conclusively, in view of the analysis and discoveries made in this research, finding optimum locations via the GIS–MCE based land suitability model for future housing development needs may prove highly resourceful. Hence, this study can likewise give a significant direction to future land use changes and practical and cost-effective arrangements in the urban areas where conditions are similar to those in Ede North LGA.
Geographic Information System, Analytical Hierarchical process, Sustainability Housing, Case Study, Multi Criteria Evaluation
- Abu Hassan, A. B., Khor, S. C., and Rahmawaty. (2011). Sustainable housing practices in Malaysia housing development: Towards establishing sustainability index. International Journal of Technology 1: 84-93.
- Adil, Z., Jabbar, S., Sulaiman, R. H., Mustafa, Y. T., & Karimi, H. (2021). Land Suitability Analysis for Identifying Industrial Zones in Duhok District, Kurdistan Region of Iraq. Journal of Civil Engineering Frontiers, 2(02), 51-56.
- Akadiri, P. O., Chinyio, E. A., and Olomolaiye, P. O. (2012). “Design of a sustainable building: A conceptual framework for implementing sustainability in the building sector.” Buildings 2: 126-152
- Brady, N. C., & Weil, R. R. (2017). The nature and properties of soils. Pearson.
- Chapin, F. S., Kaiser, E. J. (1978), Urban land use planning. Urbana, (Chicago: Illinois University Press).
- Elkington, J. (1997). Cannibals with Forks: The Triple Bottom Line of 21st Century Business; Capstone Publishing: Oxford, UK.
- Emmanuel Abolo Moore. (2019). Addressing Housing Deficit in Nigeria: Issues, Challenges and Prospects. CBN Institutional Repository. https://dc.cbn.gov.ng/efr/vol57/iss4/15/
- Ibem, E. O. & Azuh, D.E. (2011). Framework for Evaluating the Sustainability of Public Housing Programmes in Developing Countries: Journal of Sustainable Development and Environmental Protection (JSDEP), 1 (3). pp. 24-39.
- Loi, N.K., Nguyen T.T., Nguyen T.H. & Vu, M.T. (2010). Integration of GIS and AHP Techniques for Analyzing Land Use Suitability in Di Linh District, Upstream Dong Nai Watershed, Vietnam. SEARCA Agriculture & Development Discussion Paper Series no. 2010-2.
- Malczewski, J. (2004). GIS-based land-use suitability analysis: a critical overview. In: Progress for planning. Elsevier Ltd. pp (3–65). doi:10.1016/j.progress.2003.09.002
- Mallick, J., et al. (2022). GIS-Based Decision Support System for Safe and Sustainable Building Construction Site in a Mountainous Region. Sustainability, 14(2), 888. https://doi.org/10.3390/su14020888
- Mierzwiak, M. and Calka, B. (2017). MULTI-CRITERIA ANALYSIS FOR SOLAR FARM LOCATION SUITABILITY. In: Reports on Geodesy and Geoinformatics vol. 104/2017; pp. 20-32.
- Mzuri, R. T., Mustafa, Y. T., & Omar, A. A. (2021). Land degradation assessment using AHP and GIS-based modelling in Duhok District, Kurdistan Region, Iraq. Geocarto International, 1-19.
- Ng, M., Yip, J., Mohamad, G,H., & Ching. (2017). Indicators of Sustainable Housing Development (SHD): A Review and Conceptual Framework. International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, 8(9). https://www.ijser.org/researchpaper/Indicators-of-Sustainable-Housing-Development-SHD-A-Review-and-Conceptual-Framework.pdf
- Nkwunonwo, Ugonna (2021), “Data for: Free, open, quantitative and adaptable digital soil map and database for Nigeria”, Mendeley Data, V1, doi: 10.17632/zmrt6k83wk.1
- Peñacoba-Antona, L., Gómez-Delgado, M., & Esteve-Núñez, A. (2021). Multi-Criteria Evaluation and Sensitivity Analysis for the Optimal Location of Constructed Wetlands (METland) at Oceanic and Mediterranean Areas. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18(10), 5415. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18105415
- Rajnoha, R.; Lesníková, P (2016). Strategic Performance Management System and Corporate Sustainability Concept-Specific Parametres in. Slovak Enterprises. J. Compet., 8, 107–124.
- Saaty, T. L. (1994), Fundamentals of decision making and priority theory with the analytic hierarchy process. Pittsburgh: RWS Publications.
- Shalabi, M. A., Mansor, B. S., Ahmed, N. B., Shiriff, R. (2006). GIS Based Multi-criteria Approaches to Housing Site Suitability Assessment, Shaping the Change, XXIII FIG Congress, Munich, Germany, October 8-13, 2006.
- Sulaiman, W., Karimi, H., & Mustafa, Y. (2021). A GIS-based AHP Method for Groundwater Potential Zone Assessment: A Review. Journal of Geoinformatics & Environmental Research, 2(02), 86-91.
- Talbot, D. (2018, June 5). Housing Is Connected To Economic Growth -- But Only The Right Housing In The Right Place. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/deborahtalbot/2018/05/01/housing-connected-to-economic-growth/?sh=6c6816af1e30
- Tamilenthi, S., Punithavathi, J., Baskaran R., Chandra Mohan K. (2011), Dynamics of urban sprawl, changing direction and mapping: A case study of Salem city, Tamilnad, India. Archives of Applied Science Research, vol. 3 pp. 277-286.
- Tauber, M., Feldkamp, D., Guse, C., Heidemann, A., Zupancic, T., & Schriefl, T. (2019). Building the Housing of the Future. BCG Global; BCG Global. https://www.bcg.com/publications/2019/building-the-housing-of-the-future
- The general suitability modeling workflow—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation. (2022). Arcgis.com. https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/analysis/spatial-analyst/suitability-modeler/the-general-suitability-modeling-workflow.htm
- Yan, Y.; Zhang, Y.; Sharma, A.; Al-Amri, J.F (2021). Evaluation of Suitability of Urban Land Using GIS Technology. Sustainability, 13, 10521. https://doi.org/10.3390/su131910521