The physical and spatial expansion of cities, which often taken place without planning, caused numerous environmental, health, economic and social problems. This study investigates the physical, spatial, and demographic development and expansion of Ilam city in Iran for over 60 years. To achieve these goals, library studies, data analysis, and field studies were applied. The process of development in Ilam and its demographic changes from 1956 to 2016 has been presented, and then, the spatial-physical expansion of the city is evaluated. The results showed that several factors had impacted the physical development and expansion of Ilam. The highest growth was observed between 1976 and 1986. Also, the development of the city has been more horizontal. The study results show the correlation, intensity, extension, and mechanism of conversion and land-use change in Ilam city and embody its spatial-physical expansion.
Evaluation, Spatial-Physical Expansion, Ilam
- Pourmohammadi, P, Zamani, A. (2007). evaluation of spatial-physical development of Zanjan city with an emphasis on land use change in 2005-2006. University of Tehran.
- Muhammed, A, Karimi, H, Gharab, B Neamat, S. Mirzaei. K. (2020). Assessment of the Quality of the Environment in Duhok Province, Kurdistan Region of Iraq. JoCEF, 1 (1), 20-24.
- Kourosh Niya, A, Huang, J, Karimi, H, H. Keshtkar, H, Naimi, B. (2019) Use of Intensity Analysis to Characterize Land Use/Cover Change in the Biggest Island of Persian Gulf, Qeshm Island,
- Iran. Sustainability , 11,4396. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11164396
- Roostayi, Sh, Aliakbari, E , Hoseinzadeh, R (2016) Studying the Key Influencing Factors on the Growth of Large Cities (Case Study: the City of Urmia). Research and Urban Planning. 7 (26); 53- 74.
- Lei, Y, Flacke, J , Nina, S (.2021) Does Urban planning affect urban growth pattern? A case study of Shenzhen, China. Land Use Policy, 101
- Hu, D.; Yang, G.; Wu, Q.; Li, H.; Liu, X.; Niu, X.; Wang, Z.; Wang, Q. (2008) . Analyzing Land Use Changes in the Metropolitan Jilin City of Northeastern China Using Remote Sensing and GIS. Sensors , 8,5449-5465. https://doi.org/10.3390/s8095449
- Bagan, H, Yamagata ,Y . (2012). Landsat analysis of urban growth: how Tokyo became the world’s largest megacity during the last 40 years. Remote Sens. Environ. 127 210–22
- Karimi, H, Jafarnezhad, J, Khaledi, J, Ahmadi, P, (2018). Monitoring and prediction of land use/land cover changes using CA-Markov model: a case study of Ravansar County in Iran. Arab J Geosci. 11 (592).. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12517-018-3940-5
- Kourosh Niya, A, Huang, J, Kazemzadeh-Zow, A, Karimi, Naimi .H. (2020). Comparison of three hybrid models to simulate land use changes: a case study in Qeshm Island, Iran. Environ Monit Assess 192, 302.. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-020-08274-6
- Karimi, H Jafarnezhad, J, Kakhani, A, (2020) "Landsat Time-Series for Land Use Change Detection Using Support Vector Machine: Case Study of Javanrud District, Iran," 2020 International Conference on Computer Science and Software Engineering (CSASE), pp. 128-131, DOI: 10.1109/CSASE48920.2020.9142087.
- Mustafa, Y,T. (2020). Multi-temporal Satellite Data for Land Use/Cover (LULC) Change Detection in Zakho, Kurdistan Region-Iraq. In: Al-Quraishi ,A, Negm A. (eds) Environmental Remote Sensing and GIS in Iraq. Springer Water. Springer, Cham.. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-21344-2_7
- Alawamy J.S,; Balasundram ,S.K,; Mohd,A.H, Hanif, Boon Sung, C.T. (2020). Detecting and Analyzing Land Use and Land Cover Changes in the Region of Al-Jabal Al-Akhdar, Libya Using Time-Series Landsat Data from 1985 to 2017. Sustainability , 12,4490. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12114490
- Effati, F, Karimi, H, Yavari, A. (2020). Investigating effects of land use and land cover patterns on land surface temperature using landscape metrics in the city of Tehran, Iran. Arab J Geosci. 14, 1240.. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12517-021-07433-4
- Ilam Governor's Office, (2010). Office of National Divisions.
- Iranian Annually Statistical. 2001. www.amar.org.ir
- Musa Kazemi, S. (2007).Sustainability assessment of urban development, concepts and methods and indicators, Peyk Noor, Payame Noor University Quarterly, Fifth Year, Second Issue.
- Statistics Center of Iran. 2016. www.amar.org.ir
- AliAkbari, S. (2008). Analysis of the green space of Ilam with the effect of sustainable development, Master Thesis, Payame Noor University, Central Tehran.